Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tracy's Cheesy Potatoes

I have made this side dish for many different occasions.  It's become my "easy" go-to dish for potlucks, holiday dinners and even for our own family meals.

Ingredients:
1 bag Frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes or Cubed Hash Brown Potatoes
16 oz Sour Cream
1 regular size can Cream of Celery (or cream of mushroom) soup
1 large white onion, chopped
2-4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Approx. 3 cups crushed corn flakes
cooking spray
(optional) I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray

You will need a baking dish such as a 5 qt casserole dish or the Pampered Chef Covered Roaster Stoneware.  

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Spray baking dish with cooking spray to help to keep potatoes from sticking to the dish. 

Mix the hash browns, sour cream and soup in the baking dish. Fold in chopped onions.  Add as much shredded cheese as you desire (my family likes them super cheesy so I mix in 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese then I spread the remaining cheese over the top.)  Spread the corn flakes over the top of the mixture.  I like to spray the corn flakes with the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray to help keep the corn flakes from burning.  You can also wait to put the corn flakes on top until the potatoes are 1/2 to 3/4 done. 

Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes (or however long it takes for potatoes to be soft and cheese completely melted through)  Length of time will depend on your oven.  

NOTE:  The corn flakes are easy to burn - if you are not going to use the spray, I suggest either baking the potatoes most of the way and then spreading the cornflakes for the last 10-20 minutes.  You can also cover the dish, however, it will take longer to bake and you will need to remove the lid for the last 10-20 minutes of baking time.  

Please feel free to share a link to this recipe.  I welcome photos of your outcome!  I will be happy to post them with the recipe.  Email your photo to cecenjeff@gmail.com with the name of the recipe in the subject line.

No comments:

Post a Comment